On a legal document a reference is made to a chapel in aghyaran dated 1797.This chapel may have been built around 1759.The memorial stone on the tower over the main door reads
The earliest inscribed headstone in aghyaran graveyard is dated July 19, 1791(Thomas Owens).
Fr James Mongan Built a chapel on this site in 1799 it was a thatched building
Present chapel built in 1840
Dedicated to St.Patrick 1844
Tower Built 1856
Fr.James O Kane PP (1894-1897) put seats in half the Chapel and Fr.Mc Conelogue PP (1897-1933) seated the remainder.
1927 renovation included new roof,ceiling,sacristy,sanctuary of carrara marble,(high altar,side altar and altar rails) new floor (timber) and in the tower (concrete) stained glass windows,wall and gates along road and retaining wall behind chapel
Electricity installed 1959
Oil Heating installed 1968
Sound amplification installed 1969
Baptismal font placed in sanctuary 1984
ET SANCTO PATRICIO
(This Church was built A.D 1840 for the worship of the living God and dedicated to Saint Patrick A.D 1844.It was enlarged with this tower A.D 1856)